The main factor holding back the quick turnaround of clinical research was the huge reliance on manual tasks like data entry.
For example, imagine two screens. For a clinician to take all the data points and information they need from the Electronic Health Records (EHRs) of patients, they needed one system open on one screen for all their data capture, and a separate system open on the other screen for the EHRs.
For every single data point, clinicians had to look up a patient, search for every question from their height to their medication specifics, and manually copy everything line by line into the fields in the study.
It was a lengthy, labour-intensive exercise that left a lot of room for human error – and it was the perfect opportunity for a system integration that could map one against the other, producing automated clinical studies in minutes, as opposed to hours.
The key aims of this project:
- innovate the process of generating clinical studies through automation
- reduce the staffing overheads for conducting a study
- improve data quality by reducing human error
- integrate seamlessly with EHR platforms including Epic, Cerner and AllScripts
- integrate with a variety of EDC research solutions to further enrich data capture
Our role was to support IgniteData as their technical development partner, with an agile brief stretching from the initial feasibility and scoping of the project, to the front and back-end build of this ambitious application.